Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Confidence

Psalm 27:13-14

13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.


That word "confident" really stood out to me this morning as I was reading Psalm 27.  David began this passage, Psalm 27, with these words in verse 1: "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"  David was focused on God.  He was focused on the light of his life, the stronghold of his life.  He finished the passage with verses 13 and 14, and he used the word "confident" to describe his walk with God.  "Confident" means "to have strong belief" or "to have full trust" in something or someone.

This morning, I was confident in my hot water heater.  I was confident I could take a hot shower.  This morning, I was confident in my toothpaste.  I was confident it would clean/protect my teeth.  This morning, I was confident in my car.  I was confident it would crank.  I was confident that it would get me safely to my destination.  Those are just a few things I placed confidence in this morning.  Each day, I place confidence in my wife.  I place confidence in my kids.  I place confidence in my co-workers.  Confidence is something I practice each and every day with things and with people in my life.  But I do have to tell you, there have been many times when things have let me down.  There have been many times when people have let me down.  Truth be told, I, too, have let people down after they placed their confidence in me.  Isn't it amazing that in critical times I place my belief and my trust in so many things and so many people, but I don't believe in God; I don't trust God!  Throughout the Bible, I see the truth about God...who He is and what He has done, is doing, and will do.  Throughout the Bible, I see that God is good; God is faithful; God is trustworthy.  I know in my own life, God has never let me down!  Have there been difficult and painful times?  Yes.  Have there been confusing and frightful times?  Yes.  Has God ever let me down.  No.  God has always come through for me.  Sometimes I don't understand it with my weak mind.  Sometimes I don't see it with my unbelieving eyes.  Nevertheless, God has been faithful to me.  God is trustworthy.  God is my light, my stronghold.  And like David, I echo these words: "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."  In You, God, I place my confidence.  I believe You.  I trust You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...