Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Put Off, Put On

Ephesians 4:20-24

20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.  22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to PUT OFF your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to PUT ON the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.


I don't know about you, but there are many times throughout my day when I wonder why I SAID that or I wonder why I DID that.  I don't know about you, but I continue to struggle with temptation and sin each and every day!  Let me be clear: I am a Christ follower.  I have repented of my sin, and I have believed in Jesus as my Lord and my Savior.  I know that I am a child of God, thanks be to Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.  My salvation is secure, not because of me but because of Jesus!  I have been made new in Jesus!  But in this earthly tent, this earthly flesh, I continue to struggle with my old self, my sinful self.  Do you struggle like this?

Paul understood the struggle.  In Romans 7, he talked about the struggle with sin and self.  Paul says in Romans 7:21-25, "So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.  For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.  24 What a wretched man I am!  Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"  Paul realizes his potential and his end result if life is left up to him: evil.  He even calls himself a "wretched man" in this state.  Can you imagine if Paul had stayed in this state?  Can you imagine if Paul had stayed in the prison of sin and self, which is exactly where Satan wanted him to stay?  Paul recognized his helplessness in sin; but most importantly, Paul recognized his Help and his Hope!  Paul recognized Jesus, his Deliverer!  He thanks God for Jesus.  Jesus is the One who makes it possible for Paul to live the way God created him to live.  It is through Jesus that Paul can wake up each day and PUT OFF the old self and PUT ON the new self.

You and I can rest in the surety and security of our salvation.  When God has us, He has us forever and ever!  But until that time when we die or until that time when Jesus comes again to rescue us forever from this old earth, we will have to participate in this life.  We will have to make choices each day in regard to the way we live.  We will have to choose what we PUT OFF and PUT ON each day: PUT ON the old self or the new self?  PUT OFF the old self or the new self?  That choice will not only impact us as Christ followers; it will also impact anyone and everyone we come in contact with along our journey.  We have been called to live life the way Jesus lived life.  We have been called to righteousness and holiness.  Yes, God is in control of our heart/life change, but He allows us to participate in what He is doing; He allows us to choose each day how we will live.  The struggle with sin and self is going to continue to be a struggle in this earthly life, but we have the Way, the Truth, and the Life!  We have Jesus!  We can look to Him and rely on Him for courage and strength.  We can look to Him and rely on Him to help us choose His way rather than our own.

Our Father, You are good!  You are great!  You are holy!  Help us today in our struggle with sin and self.  Help us today as we decide what to PUT OFF and what to PUT ON.  I pray that today I will choose to PUT OFF the old self and choose to PUT ON the new self.  I pray today that my words and my actions will point others to You, to Your righteousness and holiness.  Don't allow Satan to chain me up and imprison me with sin and self.  Don't allow Satan to slow me or stop me in attitude of failure and defeat.  You are good!  You are great!  You are holy!  I rest in Your strength and courage and way of life that comes to me through my Savior, Jesus!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...