Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Let GRATITUDE be my ATTITUDE!


In my last blog, I shared some honest thoughts about my struggles.  My greatest enemy in this life is Satan.  He wants to steal, kill, and destroy me.  He is like a prowling lion looking for someone to devour.  He roars loudly.  However, I am my second worst enemy.  I beat myself up over and over again in this life.  I struggle with my faith, my family, and my finances.  Yes, I struggle with others things in this life, but those are the big three.  I am the one who chooses the direction of my eyes, the reception of my ears, and the lodging of my heart.  I've been reading a great book by Pastor Kyle Idleman, entitled, Don't Give Up.  In his book, Idleman says, "Faith is a confidence that keeps believing all the pieces are going to somehow fit together, even when you don't have the big picture to work from.  It's believing that God has a purpose, even when there seems to be no reason."  He goes on to say, "Faith that gives you the confidence to keep believing and the courage to keep going is NOT faith in life's circumstances; it IS faith in God's character."

I struggle in my faith because too many times I don't truly lean on God; I don't press into God's character.  Instead, I try to control spiritual things myself; I try to accomplish spiritual things on my own, and that is just not possible.  The older I get and the more I learn in this life, the more I understand that I am in control of very little.  I struggle with my family because too many times I don't humble myself; I don't truly lean on God and count on His character being my character.  I struggle with my finances too many times because I have a "Burger King" mentality: "I want it MY way RIGHT away."  And in all my struggles, I can very easily slip into the "victim mentality."  Pastor Kyle Idleman talks about it in his book.  I begin to feel sorry for myself and blame anyone else or anything else that fits the circumstance.  I begin to bathe in PITY.  Pastor Idleman says, "We need to trade our PITY for PRAISE."  If we truly look to God (with our eyes), listen to God (with our ears), and love God (with our hearts), then we will be in an attitude of PRAISE to Him and for Him.  It's hard to PRAISE God for who He is and what He has done when you are in a PITY party for self.  I love what Paul tells us in Colossians 3:15-16.  Paul says, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be THANKFUL.  Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with GRATITUDE in your hearts."

As a Christ follower, I have so much to be THANKFUL for in my life, and it all flows from my loving Father, my God!  Sure, I struggle in this life.  Sure, I struggle with faults and failures and fears.  However, my God is BIGGER than all of my faults, my failures, and my fears.  I need to remind myself of this truth each and every day.  I need to surround myself with people who remind me of this truth each and every day.  I need to remind myself each and every day that I don't know what this day will hold; I won't be in control of the things outside of my own mind and my own heart, but my God is in control.  My God does know what this day will hold.  And I will have a CHOICE!  I can CHOOSE how I will live and how I will love.  I can CHOOSE the direction of my eyes, the reception of my ears, and the lodging of my heart.   I can CHOOSE to let the message of Christ dwell in me richly.  I can choose to sing songs of praise to my good, good Father.  My prayer today is simple: Let GRATITUDE be my ATTITUDE!  Father, I want my eyes on You today.  Father, I want my ears open to what You have to say to me today.  Father, I want You on the throne of my heart today.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...