Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Quick to Listen, Slow to Speak, Slow to Become Angry



Sometimes the medicine I desperately need is the medicine I don't like to take.  I remember when I was a kid, my mom took me to the doctor.  I was told I had a severe throat infection.  I did not want a shot, and when the doctor told me I was not getting one, I was excited.  He wrote something down on a piece of paper and handed it to my mom.  We went to the local drug store, and I was given a cough syrup to take.  No big deal, right?  It was a pretty red color, and I was thinking maybe it would be a strawberry flavor.  WRONG!  That stuff was nasty!  I tried to tell my mom that I would get better on my own because I did not want to swallow that stuff again!  However, it was the medicine I needed even though I didn't like it, and I did get better quickly.

I am reminded by God's Word that I am a sinner in need of a Savior.  Romans 3:23 reminds us all that we are sinners.  Our sinful nature is one that rebels against God.  I don't like to use the term, but in our sinful state we are "enemies" with God.  That is not how He created us.  He created us to be in intimate relationship with Him and even with one another.  Sin separates.  Sin devastates.  Right now, we are seeing much division and chaos in our country and in our world.  I don't know about you, but I sure do hear a lot of noise.  At times, sadly, that noise is coming from me.  Let's be honest, I have more than a throat infection; I have a sin infection.  As a sinner, the medicine that I desperately need is Jesus!  Seeing my sinful condition is not easy; it is not fun at all.  Turning from it is even more difficult.  Why?  Repentance first involves recognizing our sin and taking ownership of it.  Again, I don't know about you, but I don't like doing that.  I like thinking of myself better than that; surely, I am not the one who needs help; surely, I am not the one who is wrong; surely, I am not the one who needs a Savior.  Repentance also involves turning away from sin and turning away from self; repentance involves humility.  Again, in my sinful state, I don't like humility.  In my sinful state, I only want what I want when I want it where I want it how I want it.  Repentance involves dying to self.  That is hard.  However, I know that is what I need.  I need a Savior; I need Jesus.  I know that God loves me; I know that God created me to be in right relationship with Him and in right relationship with others.  

As I have grown and as I am growing in my faith, which is a gift from God, I now understand that I still need good medicine to make it in this life.  James 1:19-21 is the good medicine I need today.  With all that is going on in our country today with racism, violence, and hatred, I need God's Word.  James tells us this: "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be QUICK TO LISTEN, SLOW TO SPEAK, and SLOW TO BECOME ANGRY, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.  Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you."  Oh Lord, this is the medicine I need, even though in my sinful state I don't like to take it.  Lord, help me swallow this good medicine.  Lord, help me be attentive and listen more and better.  Lord, help me to control my tongue and only speak words that build up rather than tear down.  Lord, forgive me when I give myself to anger, not righteous anger that comes from you, but human anger that is selfish.  Lord, help me to value and to practice repentance daily.  Help me turn away from the evil that is so prevalent today.  Lord, give me a humble heart to embrace the Word you have given me so that I can be a vessel of the righteousness You desire.  Oh Lord, I want to be QUICK TO LISTEN, SLOW TO SPEAK, and SLOW TO BECOME ANGRY, and I want this for Your glory and for Your honor.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...