Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Be Grateful, Be Patient

 


Recently, I began training for a marathon.  This is one of the most difficult challenges I have ever faced.  It is difficult in every area of my life: physically, mentally, and yes, spiritually.  I have been using the Nike Run Club app on my phone to prepare for the marathon that I will run in November, Lord willing.  And I must say, I love the coaching that I have at my fingertips with the Nike Run Club app.  One of my favorite coaches is Coach Chris Bennett.  This morning I ran what is called the "Grateful 5K."  As I was running this morning, Coach Bennett reminded me to be GRATEFUL during my run...for so many people and so many things in my life.  He said, "One of the best ways to run and one of the most enjoyable ways to run is running GRATEFULLY."  Coach Bennett said, "The only way to cross the finish line is to step up to the starting line and go!"  And then Coach Bennett said something that I have been thinking about all morning: "Be PATIENT!  Be PATIENT with your run and with yourself."  He even went so far as to say, "This is not just about the running; this is also about living."

I love those two words from my workout this morning: GRATEFUL and PATIENT. God's Word has something to say to us about being GRATEFUL and being PATIENT.  In 2 Peter 3:9, Peters says, "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness.  Instead, He is PATIENT with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  I thank God for His patience.  I thank God for His patience with me.  And if God is patient with me, should I be patient, as well?  Proverbs 14:29 says, "Whoever is PATIENT has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly."  Jonah 2:9 says, "But I, with shouts of GRATEFUL praise, will sacrifice to you.  What I have vowed I will make good.  I will say, 'Salvation comes from the Lord.'"  

I don't know about you, but I am GRATEFUL today!  I thank God for His love, His mercy, and His grace in my life!  I thank God for all the blessings of life, especially my family and friends!  I thank God for being PATIENT with me, and I thank God for helping me be PATIENT.  As Coach Bennett reminded me this morning during my run, I am learning how to be PATIENT with my run (journey) and with myself.  And I am learning to be patient with others.  And my prayer for myself and my prayer for you this today is simple: "Lord, helps us be GRATEFUL...help us live GRATEFULLY!  Lord, helps us be PATIENT...helps us live PATIENTLY!  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...