Thursday, June 9, 2022

Facing Challenges: Part 1


I love the story of Joshua.  I can't fully imagine or understand the pressures that Joshua faced as he succeeded Moses in leading Israel into the Promise Land.  And if you read the last chapters of Deuteronomy and the book of Joshua, you will see that Joshua faced many challenges in his lifetime.  Some of those challenges were very personal and private, and some of those challenges were very corporate and public.  Joshua had proven his character and his ability many times as the Israelites left Egypt and headed toward the Promise Land.  As Moses grew older and realized Joshua was ready to lead the people, he gave Joshua and all of Israel an encouraging message.  Deuteronomy 31:7-8 says, "7 Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, 'Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance.  8 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.'"

I know this was thousands of years ago, and I know this was Joshua and the Israelites.  However, I also know that my God never changes.  He is the same today as He was yesterday, and He will be the same tomorrow.  Moses encouraged Joshua with important words.  He wanted Joshua to be strong and be courageous.  He wanted Joshua to lead the people well.  He reminded Joshua that the LORD GOES BEFORE him and that eat LORD WILL BE WITH him.  He also encouraged Joshua not to cave in to fear or cave in to discouragement.  I don't know about you, but those are words that I need desperately today.  The encouragement and truth we see in Deuteronomy can be and is ours today!  Over the past few months, and especially the past few weeks, I have faced challenges in my life.  Some of those challenges were expected, but most of those challenges caught me completely by surprise.  Most of my challenges lately have been more personal and private, but some are challenges that we all are facing...the corporate and public challenges.  I have been tempted to cave in to both fear and discouragement.  In fact, there have been a few times when my fears got the best of me.  There have been a few times when the discouragement got the best of me.  It has been easy for me to give encouraging words to others when they are facing the challenges of life, but it has not been as easy for me to swallow my own words in the midst of my own challenges.  However, I am not just reading these words in Deuteronomy 31:7-8 today; I am BELIEVING these words today in my life!  MY GOD GOES BEFORE ME, and I know He will never leave me nor forsake me!  I know that my God wants me to be strong and courageous while facing challenges in this life.  There is nothing that takes place in my life that ever catches God by surprise; He is sovereign.  So as I face the challenges in my life, whether private or public, I have a choice: I can face them with strength and courage that God gives me, or I can cower from them with fear and discouragement.  I choose strength and courage!  Does it mean that I know what will happen in the midst of these challenges, good or bad?  No, but I do know that my GOD GOES BEFORE ME, and He will always be with me, never leaving me nor forsaking me.  I know these truths, and I am going to keep telling myself these truths...today and in the days ahead!  My prayer is that you know these truths, as well, and my prayer is that you BELIEVE these truths in your own life today and in the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...