Monday, April 3, 2023

Thank You for the Hard Stuff, Too!


This morning I went on another run.  I've been training for an upcoming marathon, and I have most of my runs planned out in advance with the Nike Run Club app on my watch.  One of my favorite coaches on the NRC app is Coach Bennett.  Today's run was a good one by Coach Bennett: "THANK YOU RUN."  It was a 45-minute recovery run, and Coach Bennett reminded me of how much I should be thankful for in my life.  Of course, I started off thanking God for my wife, my kids, my church family, and many other good people and good things in my life.  However, as I was running and listening, I began to think about difficult circumstances and even difficult people I've faced or am facing in my life.  I couldn't help but think about the passage in Luke 6:27-28.  Jesus said to His followers, "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."  Jesus went on to say in Luke 6:29-31, "If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also.  If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.  Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.  Do to others as you would have them do to you."  Jesus finishes this passage in Luke 6:35-36, by saying, "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.  Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

I have to be honest with you.  This is a difficult passage for me.  It is not difficult for me to understand; Jesus is very clear with His words.  This is a difficult passage for me because it is not a natural response for me.  I don't naturally respond to difficult people, mean people, hateful and hurtful people by loving them or praying for them.  I don't naturally respond to my enemies by turning the other cheek or being kind or being merciful.  However, I am thankful for the Spirit of God.  The Spirit of God indwelling me leads and guides me to honor God with my words and with my actions.  On most days, if not each day, it is easy for me to love and to do good and to pray for my wife, my kids, my church family, and for those who treat me well.  However, even then, I can still be selfish and lack gratitude.  I can take advantage of those good relationships.  I am actually thankful for the opportunities God gives me when difficult people, even enemies, comes against me.  In those circumstances, I am reminded of how desperate I am for the Spirit of God to lead me and guide me and use me as a vessel of God's love, grace, and mercy.  I am desperate for God to help me look and live and love like Jesus when people say ugly things to me or about me, when people mistreat me.  And I am even thankful for the difficult circumstances, the hard times of life, that remind me of my desperate need for God.  I am thankful for the difficult circumstances in my life because I know that God can and will use those moments to grow me in my faith and use me for His kingdom purposes.  That is what James says in James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  This morning as I ran, the roads were wet and slick.  At one point, I slid a little bit and almost tripped.  Instead of getting angry, I just said, "Thank You, God, for keeping me on my feet."  During another stretch, a car hit a water puddle and slug water all over my backside.  My natural response would have been to get mad and boil over with anger.  However, as I listened to Coach Bennett talk about being thankful, I just said out loud to my Father, "Thank You, God, for protecting me just now.  Thank You for keeping me on my feet and allowing me to run today, even in these difficult circumstances."

After a few hours of thinking and praying, I can sit here now and say to God, "Thank You for the hard stuff, too.  Thank You for giving me opportunities to experience growth and for opportunities to look and to live and to love more like Jesus.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...