Monday, September 20, 2021

The Way I Respond

 


On may way to lunch today, I listened to my "2021 Worship" playlist.  I was able to listen to a couple of songs before I reached my destination.  I listened to "RATTLE!" by Elevation Worship and "House of the Lord" by Phil Wickham.  And yes, I did get loud in my truck singing to my Jesus!  Before I got out of my truck, I thanked God for His presence in my life.  I asked Him to use me for His glory in any way possible.

After I sat down, the waitress told me the kitchen was a little slow, and she asked me to be patient with them.  I told her not to worry about a thing.  After I ordered, it took a little while to get my sweet tea.  It took even longer to get my appetizer.  I heard some grumbling around me, and, no, it was not stomachs grumbling for food; rather, the grumbling I heard came from the mouths of people because they were frustrated with their service.  And I do understand, it was taking a lot longer than it should have taken for us to get our drinks and our food.  However, my waitress was just as nice as she could be, and I had already decided in my heart that I was going to treat her with respect and be patient with her.  

A couple entered after me and sat at the table next to me.  As you might guess, they received their food before I did.  I have to be honest with you and say that I was not happy about that.  I was curious how they could receive their food so quickly, but just then my food came out of the kitchen and was placed on my table.  As you might guess again, there was a piece of my food missing from my plate.  As the waitress came out, she asked if everything was fine.  I politely showed her my plate and told her that one of my items was missing.  She apologized and corrected the problem.  

I thank God for the praise and worship session I experienced in my truck on the way to lunch today.  There is no way that I would have been patient and respectful had I not been focused on the Lord, had I not prayed and asked Him to use me for His glory.  I thank God for enabling and empowering me to live Colossians 4:5-6 out loud today.  Paul says, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."  Did I have a right to upset about the service? Maybe so.  Did I have a right to grumble and complain about the service?  Maybe so.  Just because I may or may not have had the right to do those things doesn't mean that I had to do those things.  I made a choice in how I responded to my circumstances.  The way I respond to my circumstances not only impacts me, but it also impacts those around me.  Another couple on the other side of me must have been watching and listening.  They told me that I showed great patience and was very polite.  I told them that I had prayed about honoring God before I ever walked in and that God gave me the opportunity.  

I wish I could say that this is the way I have always responded or that this is the way that I always will respond.  I have blown it in the past by being selfish and disrespectful.  I am thankful for God's grace to me and for second chances.  I am thankful that God has shown me in His Word that the way I respond really does matter...in the big things, in the small things...in all things!  Do what you have to do today to be God's funnel of grace, mercy, and love to others.  Have a praise and worship session in your truck, in your house, at your desk, or wherever you are.  Pray for it.  And be ready, because God will give you the opportunity!  Make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...