Wednesday, September 22, 2021

It's Not the Grumbling in My Tummy!


A few days ago, I was sitting in my office and my stomach would not stop grumbling.  I was hungry, and that was the only cure for my grumbling.  Today, I was reminded in Scripture that there is a grumbling way more serious that needs to be addressed in my life.  The king of grumbling I'm talking about is not the grumbling in my tummy but the grumbling in my heart!  

In Philippians 2:13, Paul says, "For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose."  Let's stop and think about his verse for a moment.  As a Christ follower, I have died to SELF and now live in CHRIST.  God is working in me according to His will so that I might act according to His purpose.  Before I move forward in Scripture, I need to realize this truth: I belong to God in Christ Jesus.  I am His vessel, His ambassador.  Then Paul goes on to say this in Philippians 2:14-16a, "Do everything without GRUMBLING or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.'  Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky."  I have to remember that Paul is talking to the church; he is talking to Christ followers; he is talking to me!

I saw a quote recently that made me laugh until I evaluated my own heart: "The worst person to be around is someone who complains about everything and appreciates nothing."  Yes, at first I laughed and even agreed.  However, I began to think about my own heart.  I have found many times in my life that when I don't like something or when I disagree with someone, I grumble (inside and out).  It is almost like grumbling is my default response.  In my sinful nature, that is understandable.  However, in my new life - my Christlike life - that is no excuse.  I need to put to death my old self; I need to turn from my sinful nature; I need to repent, and I need to rely on the love of God that is found in Jesus Christ!  Before I respond or say anything in those tough circumstances and/or conversations, I need to filter my heart and my mind through PRAYER.  I need to go to God with my emotions, with my mouth, with my actions, and with my heart.  I need to listen to God's voice as He speaks to me.  I need to remember what God says through Paul in Philippians 2:13.  It is God who works in me.  I need to humble myself before Him and obey Him, living my life in order to fulfill His good purposes, not my own.  I realize now that it's not the grumbling in my tummy that is the problem; it is the grumbling in my heart that is the problem.  If I spend more time grumbling and complaining about circumstances and about people, then maybe it is because I'm not spending enough time humbling myself before God.  Maybe I'm not spending enough time praying.  Maybe I'm not spending enough time worshiping and praising God, giving thanks to Him for all things.

Lord, help me today to embrace Your words to me and for me.  Help me today to be a person of THANKS and ENCOURAGEMENT.  When I am disappointed or hurt, help me start in prayer and help me to listen to Your voice first before I speak out and act out.  Help me, Lord, to understand and to obey You in all things.  Help me to surrender to Your will and to act according to Your purposes in my life.  Thank You, Lord, for the Holy Spirit in me, for enabling me and empowering me to glorify You...in every circumstance.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...