Thursday, February 10, 2022

Is This PERFORMANCE or PARTICIPATION???


I love 1 Peter 4...every single word!  Over the past month, I've really been praying and pouring my heart out to God about kingdom ministry and my participation.  I've been serving in kingdom ministry in the church and community for a long time.  In just a few weeks, Lord willing, I will have served at my church as pastor for ten years. Kingdom ministry has really been on my heart this past month.  I've thought about the different areas of ministry in the church: pastors, deacons, teachers, women's ministry, men's ministry, student ministry, children's ministry, and many more positions of service.  A question that I've asked myself is a tough one: "Is this PERFORMANCE or PARTICIPATION?"  I have learned that if I am not completely humble in all I say and I do then what I am saying and doing for the kingdom can become a PERFORMANCE.  If I am not completely humbled before God and completely surrendered to God then kingdom ministry can actually become the idol of my heart.  Without true humility and true surrender, I begin to make kingdom ministry what I want it to be; I begin to make kingdom ministry a glorified platform for what I want to say and what I want to do rather than a humble position of saying what God wants me to say and doing what God wants me to do.  When kingdom ministry is about PERFORMANCE in my life, I will compare myself to others; I will become judgmental and domineering; I will become the exact opposite of who Jesus saved me and called me to be.  Kingdom ministry is not about my PERFORMANCE.  Kingdom ministry is about my PARTICIPATION. 

1 Peter 4:1-2 says, "Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.  As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God."  Peter goes on to say in verses 7-11, "The end of all things is near.  Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.  Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.  Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.  Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.  If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.  If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things GOD MAY BE PRAISED THROUGH JESUS CHRIST.  To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.  Amen."

I thank God for our salvation that comes through humble repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ.  I thank God that through salvation we become children of God and ambassadors of God in this world.  We are not called to sit around and watch what God is doing; we are called to PARTICIPATE in what He is doing!  What a blessing!  Peter's words in 1 Peter 4 remind me that everything I say and do is about Jesus and for Jesus.  His words remind me that my goal is that "GOD MAY BE PRAISED THROUGH JESUS CHRIST."  Kingdom ministry is never about me; it is never about a PERFORMANCE to glorify myself or my words or my actions; it is not so others can see me or think that I am so good or better than.  If that is what I make it, then the truth is I look a whole lot more like the Pharisees than I do the Christ followers.  In the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, Jesus had many conversations with the teachers of the law and the Pharisees.  Jesus wanted them to know the truth of God's Word; He wanted them to know that it was the law that exposed their sinfulness and their desperate need of a Savior.  However, as we see in Scripture, for many of the teachers of the law and the Pharisees, the law had become an idol in their hearts.  They began to PERFORM for the crowds rather than to PARTICIPATE with the Lord.  Kingdom ministry for the teachers of the law and the Pharisees had become a show, a spectacle.  I have been praying to my Father this past month about kingdom ministry and my part in it.  I have also been repenting of my sinfulness, the sinfulness of PERFORMANCE over PARTICIPATION...making kingdom ministry about what I want to say and what I want to do rather than humbling surrendering to God and being His vessel, His ambassador.

As Peter shows us in 1 Peter 4, kingdom ministry is about PARTICIPATION, and that PARTICIPATION includes surrendering, suffering, sacrificing, and serving.  It is about being completely humbled and completely committed to God in every area of our lives.  If we are more concerned about getting our way with others...if we are more concerned about getting the prizes of man (trophies, t-shirts, applause, etc)...if we are more concerned with positions over others...then maybe we need to step back or even step down.  If we are PERFORMING for man then we can't be PARTICIPATING with God.  

Lord, help me.  Lord, show me the truth.  Lord, forgive me of my sinfulness and my selfishness.  Lord, thank You for saving me and calling me to PARTICIPATE in kingdom ministry.  Lord, help me stay humble.  Lord, help me stay focused on You and what You want me to say and what You want me to do.  And Lord, help me to love others deeply, offer hospitality with grumbling, use my gifts to serve others, and be a faithful steward of the grace You've given me.  Let my PARTICIPATION cause others to praise You through Jesus Christ.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...