Friday, February 11, 2022

That is TEAMWORK!


 Another passage of Scripture that I love to read and be remind of is 1 Corinthians 12.  What an incredible passage of Scripture for Christ followers working together in kingdom ministry!  For many years before I was called to be a pastor, I was a high school basketball coach.  TEAMWORK was something I learned as a kid playing ball, and it was something I continued to learn and to value as a coach.  I was watching a college basketball game just a few nights ago.  One of my favorite college teams recruited and signed a 5-star athlete.  He is incredibly gifted, but during this game he was struggling defensively and offensively.  The coach continued to stick with him because he knew that he was a difference-maker on the floor.  With the game tied with less than thirty seconds, this 5-star athlete had the ball and began driving to the basket.  I actually thought he was going to take the shot, and I would have been fine with him taking the shot...possibly the last shot.  
As a coach, you want athletes who are confident in taking those kinds of shots.  As he began to drive, I saw one teammate set a screen for him.  On the opposite side of the basketball, where most people were not looking, I saw another teammate set a screen for another player.  As the 5-star athlete rose to the rim with a defender in his face, he softly passed the ball to his left to a wide-open teammate who made the game winning shot!  That is TEAMWORK!  I saw a few things in that game that reminded me of this passage in 1 Corinthians 12.  Everyone was on the same page; everyone was taking care of his responsibility in his place of service.  One thing that really stood out was that even though the 5-start athlete and leader of the team could have take the very much contested last shot, he was willing to pass the ball to a teammate who had the better shot.  And even though this college basketball game was entertaining and they were PERFORMING at a high level, what I saw was PARTICIPATION by a team of athletes.  I did not see a PERFORMANCE.

Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 12 that kingdom ministry is TEAM MINISTRY.  Kingdom ministry is about PARTICIPATING with God not PERFORMING for the crowd.  As Christ followers, God saves us and calls us unto Himself, but He also brings us together to PARTICIPATE in what He is doing in the world for an eternal purpose.  Pauls says in 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 that we have "different gifts, different kinds of service, and different kinds of working."  However, he goes on to say that we have "the same Spirit, the same Lord, and the same God."  Our differences are not given to us to create division or separation.  Our differences are gifts given to us by God to do incredible work TOGETHER!  Our PARTICIPATION in kingdom ministry TOGETHER is for "the common good."  Paul goes on to say in 1 Corinthians 12:12, "Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ."  In verses 18-20, Paul says, "But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.  If they were all one part, where would the body be?  20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body."

So what does the enemy - Satan - want to do to our hearts and minds as Christ followers?  We know that he wants to "steal, kill, and destroy."  Satan also likes to use DIVISION to create chaos in our lives...at home, at work, and yes, at church and in kingdom ministry.  If you are a "foot" in ministry, he wants you to focus on the "hand" and wants you to feel like you are less because you are not the "hand."  If you are the "ear" in ministry, Satan wants you to focus on the "eye" and wants you to feel like you are less because you are not the "eye."  You get my point!  Satan wants you to put the focus on YOU: what you want, how you want it, and when you want it.  Satan wants you to make kingdom ministry like the Burger King slogan: "Make it YOUR way RIGHT away."  However, what we see in 1 Corinthians 12 and in 1 Peter 4 and many other passages, kingdom ministry is about what God wants...the way He wants, when He wants, and how He wants it.  We are not PERFORMERS; we are PARTICIPANTS.  Yes, God has equipped some of us to be leaders, ones making important decisions and, even at times, out front.  However, God has equipped some to be behind the scenes taking care of what we call "little things."  I can tell you from a coaching perspective that the "little things" are what make the "big things" possible.  Wherever you are serving right now in kingdom ministry, BE THANKFUL!  Keep your FOCUS on God...who He is and what He wants.  Kingdom ministry and TEAMWORK is all about surrendering, suffering, sacrificing, and serving; it is about PARTICIPATING not PERFORMING.  

Lord, help me.  Lord, help me be a team player when it comes to kingdom ministry.  Lord, I am thankful for salvation and thankful for participation.  Lord, help me to focus on the gift(s) You've given me so that I can be a vessel of Your grace, love, and mercy.  Lord, help me to remember that what You've given me and where You've placed me is about the "common good."  Lord, help me honor You in all I say and do in kingdom ministry.  And Lord, thank You for giving me the opportunity to be a part of Your TEAM!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord Will Fight For You!

We have this Scripture on the walls of our hearts.  We have this Scripture on the walls of our house.  This Scripture is one of my wife'...